Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Last Day of Freedom.

So it being "Day #2" (it is in fact 1:09, I just haven't figured out how to set this to Central time) I'm supposed to write about my favorite movie, which is in fact INFINITELY easier than day #1.  I'm a film major and have a mother who has been forcing me to watch American Movie Classics since I was a toddler.  The woman got me the Alfred Hitchcock Collector's Set (in VHS I might add) when I was 10.  If there's one thing I know, it's movies.  That being said my all time favorite movie is Beauty and the Beast.  It has been ever since I discovered that when people have nothing else to talk about they will usually resort to one of three questions: what kind of music do you listen to, hobbies, and what's your favorite movie?
I grew up with the Disney Masterpieces and still strongly believe to this day it never got much better than that.  Alan Menken will always have a special place in my heart; as will the score to the segment where the beast turns back into a prince.  If I just ruined the ending for you because you've never seen this movie, than I'd have to say that you've got far bigger problems to deal with.
Now I'm fully willing to admit, and have admitted for quite some time, that Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie, however I would like to differentiate between THAT and my comfort movie.  I like to define the term "comfort movie" as a movie that you can watch over and over again and then still want to watch it one more time.   My comfort movie is in fact Sweeney Todd.  Yes the movie where Johnny Depp goes around slicing people's throats while he sings about vengeance and salvation.  You have to understand that there are three constants in my life that I can always count on: Steven Sondheim, Tim Burton, and Johnny Depp.  Enter: Sweeney Todd.  The first time I encountered Sondheim's masterpiece was in a "Survey of Musical Theater" class with Julie my second semester of college where our teacher was slightly eccentric; her favorite musical was in fact Sweeney Todd.  Now because of this teacher I think I was slightly against the musical when I first viewed the televised production with Angela Lansbury, thinking more of it as a joke than a legitimate piece of art.  I distinctly remember Julie and Alyssa singing "Johanna" at the top of our lungs just out of spite.  I'm still completely convinced that I could teach that class better than our teacher.  However if there's anything that can make me give this blood-slinger a second chance it's Johnny Depp.  So I saw it and I when I heard Johnny sing his version of "Epiphany" I was hooked and never looked back.  I got my mom hooked too, and to this day, it has a permanent position atop our Blu-ray player.

And on a slightly less passionate note, well rather just as passionate, not as positive.  To the middle schoolers who decided to wrap my house (and MY car) tonight, you're not funny.  Don't think I don't know EXACTLY why you did it.  The attention you wanted to get from my pubescent little brother didn't happen and is in fact negative attention now coming from me.  Wrapping a person's house and pissing their family off is not going to make that person like you, suck it up and face facts.  Buy him a candy bar, pay him a complement, don't wrap his older sister's car who's then going to yell at him about it.  Take that and swallow it.
I'm now going to go watch Sweeney Todd to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment