Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Snape, Snape, Severus Snape.

I have a one track mind currently.  24 hours from right now I will be sitting in a theater, probably surrounded by classifiably psychotic people dressed as everyone from Hagrid to Voldemort, watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One.  Yes I bought tickets for the double feature because it seemed like an easier way to stay awake than actually waiting until midnight to see Part Two.  And in about 28 hours, the series that has defined my generation will have come to a close, and I will probably be laying in my bed sobbing at the thought that I will never again go to another midnight showing of Harry Potter.

Day 6 - A Film That Reminds You of Somewhere

She's The Man.

Guaranteed, this movie will forever remind me of my dorm room in Shirley.  My freshman year at TCU Julie and I had a 13-inch TV that we used to cram around to watch movies when we wanted to procrastinate.  "She's the Man" was one of those movies and became a cult classic between me and my friends.  I can still remember the first time I saw the poster for this movie.  It had the plot synopsis on it and I noticed all the different names (Viola, Duke, Sebastian) and screamed for Julie to come look.  Low and behold someone had come up with the surprisingly brilliant idea to modernize Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," which Julie and had just finished reading a loud in our English class.

This movie introduced me to two things that defined my college experience: the song "4-Eva" by the Veronicas and of course, Channing Tatum.  Was it cheezy?  Yes.  Was it contrived?  Absolutely, because there's no way that Amanda Bynes could pass for a boy.  But the important thing was that it was entertaining as hell, due in large part to the very attractive actors.



Oh, and it had "Tobias" from "Arrested Development."  Reason #567 that this movie is awesome.

1 comment: