Thursday, August 4, 2011

Back On Track.

As I'm sitting here, listening to Brando talk with what one can only assume is about 5 or 6 cotton balls in each side of his mouth, I find myself incredibly grateful that 1) my father is not Vito Corleone and 2) that my mother's condo has a very good air conditioning unit.

This one's gonna be short because I'm way more tired than usual and will probably collapse on my bed within the next 10 minutes.

Day "8" - The film you can quote best.

"Little Women"

Surprising?  Slightly considering that that movie is around 2 and a half hours and I've never actually made it through the book.  My first recollection of this movie is when we went to go see it in the basement of the Plaza Hotel on my first trip to New York.  That is also the same trip where I didn't want to go to F.A.O Schwartz because I thought my mom said it was called F.A.O. "Shorts" and was from that point on convinced that it was a clothing store.  I was 6, and at that point in my life did not have the same appreciation for a good pair of shorts that I do now.  The memorization process of this movie was a gradual one that began when I went through a phase of waking up at around 5:00 and, being the rebel that I was, cleared out a space in my play-room closet and positioned myself, and my TV, accordingly so that my parents wouldn't be able to find me.  The volume would also be turned down to a level where I'd have to force myself to read lips, that also probably helped with the whole memorization thing.  I'd watch "Little Women" over and over again, mainly because I didn't feel like pushing the eject button. Another reason was Christian Bale.  As you know, I have been in love with him from age 5 when I first saw "Newsies" and my love for him was cemented forever with his turn as "Laurie."  I'm fairly certain my fickleness towards men stems from the fact that I've never met one who acted, or looked, like Laurie.   I'll keep holding out.

Thank you Louisa May Alcott for giving me another reason to love Christian Bale and for also giving me something to remind me that Winona Ryder wasn't always a kleptomaniac.

No comments:

Post a Comment